I created some pictograms, inspired from early Isotypes by Otto Neurath, and will use them with my maps. They are stripped back images and create an immediate recognition in the viewer. Working on these small images, in a small grid pattern to make sure they are all symmetrical, allowed me to develop a simplified, yet charming style. This was a turning point in my design process as the piece began to develop a theme I could then incorporate into my map. The pictograms, although basic shapes to denote places, actually had many design moments within them that allowed me to bring a distinctive style to each square. For example, by choosing a steam powered train engine, it allowed a sense of Great Malvern's historical USP, and over-sizing the end of the fork and the sharp prongs like teeth, created a sense of fun. I also utilized a pastel palette, and this added a cuteness to the designs, which then had an influence on my map design to make it in keeping with the pictograms.









 

 

I decided to test some more map ideas, to echo the design of the pictograms, and created another map design that was less grid like and more stylized and natural. I also allowed myself to move away from the original aim, that of having an accurate map regarding distances. By drawing on the research I had done, and inspired by the Mappa Mundi and the Tube Map, I began to stylize the map without worrying about distances being precise. I still wanted a totem effect, but I also wanted the map to be displayed landscape, so the reader's eye would travel along the map following the line of the hills. This was to emphasise the main USP of Great Malvern, the hills, and to create a natural eye-route following the bike route, roads and landscape, culminating in the end of the route at the Wyche Cutting.


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

By creating a map that is not geographically correct it allows me to experiment more with the style and allows a more creative approach to solving the issues of of normal map making. Like Harry Becks Tube Map distances between places can be exaggerated or shortened but still retain the core map information. 

I began to adorn and stylize the map, adding shading and creating trees. My aim was to develop the cute aesthetic that the pictogram design had unlocked in my design process, and  create a welcoming, fun and friendly image of the Malvern Hills to encourage use of the E-bike scheme.


 

Comments